Our Burmese Days is a movie that all youngsters should watch. It’s a documentary of Lindsay Merrison discovering her roots where her family came from. Her mother
Sally, ashamed of her heritage, cultivated a flawless English accent and always claimed to be born and raised in the solidly white-middle class Hemel Hempstead section of northwest London. For the past forty year, Sally did not go back to Burma and her father restricted them to converse in Burmese when they moved to England. In this documentary, Lindsay brings her mother, Sally and her uncle, Bill back to their homeland for the first time after forty year.
Just like many other Malaysians out there, who thinks that other country is always better than Malaysia. There’s a saying in Chinese “The moon in oversea always rounder.”
I believe that many youngsters do not love their country because they do not understand the background and the history of their origins. No doubt the education in Malaysia did teach Malaysian history when we were in school but they project it in such a way that didn’t interest most of the students.
Just like my cousin brother who lived in Hawaii, America for more than 20 years now, he only came back to his homeland because he had to renew his identity card and his passport. But in his case, he didn’t deny that he is from Malaysia but he just didn’t not mention if no one asked. I think many Malaysian that went abroad to study; they tend to compare Malaysia to other country. I believe that every country have its own advantages and disadvantages.
Somehow I don’t feel that I’m related to this movie myself but I don’t feel the urge to showing this movie to the school kids out there for them to know how important it is to know their roots and origins.
As a Malaysian, I’m very proud of my country of the multi culture that we have here and the many many fusion food that cannot be found else where. I know that at time we might blame the government for this doing the right thing and compliant about it…Come to think about it…we are frustrated over it because we have expectations. Without expectations, we will not grow to be a better country.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment